|Notes for Elizabeth Devereux|
|m. (2) Sir Thomas Leighton of Wallesburgh (Shrop Visit'n)|
The answer to the issue of who her father was is fairly simple, now that we know when her first husband died (c.1493 - 8 H 7) from the Shropshire visitation of 1623, which als says of her that she was "Elizabetha filia Walteri D'ni Ferrers de Chartley renupta Tho. Leighton de Wallesburgh militi".
There were four Devereux baron Ferrers of Chartley (CP V, pp. 321-329
1. Walter Devereux (d. 1485 at Bosworth Field)
2. John Devereux, 1st s. (b. c. 1464, d. 1501)
3. Walter Devereux, 1st s. (b. c. 1489, d. 1558)
4. Walter Devereux, grandson via Richard (who dvp 1547), (b. 1539, d. 1576, became earl of Essex in 1572.
Fairly obviously Elizabeth could only have been the dau. of the first Walter.
The next question is who her mother was. Walter Deveux had two wives:
1. Ann Ferrers, b. c. 1438, d. 1469,
2. Jane who d. aft 1512 having married (2) Thomas Vaughan who d. aft 1492, (3) Sir Wm. Blount who dsp 1499 and (4) Thomas Poyntz, living in 1512.
Elizabeth had 7 known children by the time Richard Corbet died in 1493, so she was breeding from, say, 1483 at the latest, which was 14 years after Anne Ferrers died.. This indicates to me that Anne Ferrers was, in all probability, her mother.
|Last Modified 5 Jul 2005||Created 9 Dec 2011 By Tim Powys-Lybbe|