Death1506
GeneralOf Boughton and Green's Norton, Northants.
FatherThomas Green (-1462)
Spouses
ChildrenAnne (ca1489-ca1522)
 Maud (ca1495-1531)
Notes for Sir Thomas Green
Rosie Bevan has found information about the ownership of Boughton Manor by the Greenes for many generations in the VCH for Northands, Vol 4, p. 77.
Possibly it is his great-grandfather, another Thos G., who m. Mary Talbot dau of Richard 4th baron Talbot & thus these Greenes would be remotely related...

The line she gave was:

1.Henry Green Chief Justice 1361-65
2.Thomas Greene
3.Thomas Green d.1417=Mary Talbot
4.Thomas Green d.1462=Philippa Ferrers,
5.Thomas Green d.1462=Matilda, da. John Throckmorton
6.Thomas Green b abt 1460 d.1506
7.Anne Green
7.Maud Green
2.Sir Henry d.1399=Maud da. of Thomas Mauduit
2.Miss Greene=William, Lord Zouche of Harringworth
________________________________________________________

TFPL, Oct 2003: In the Hants vis'n of 1686, p. 65, it says there was a Thos Greene, d. 1417-18, who m. "Philip. dar to the Lord Ferrers of Chartley" and had a son Thomas, d. 1464-5 "from whom Wm Parr Marquess of Northton is descended".
________________________________________________________

Wallop, Vol II, p. 376 shows his father to be a Sir Thos Green, d. 1474-5 and his father to be Thos, d. 1462, son of Thos, d. 1457-8, etc.
________________________________________________________

TFPL, Mar 2013: Here’s the page from VCH Northants, vol 4 on the manor of Boughton, referred to above:

One of the under-tenants of the countess in 1086 was the Norman abbey of St. Wandrille who held 3 hides less half a virgate, bestowed upon them by the countess; (fn. 9) by the 12th century this estate had increased to 3 hides and 3 small virgates, (fn. 10) probably by the addition of 3 virgates held of the countess at the Domesday Survey by 4 socmen. (fn. 11) It was worth 110s. in 1207, and was appropriated by John for the time being with the lands of other Norman holders, (fn. 12) but was regained by the abbey, whose abbot William de Nutricilla, in the reign of Edward I, conveyed it to John de Boughton, (fn. 13) who already owned land in Boughton by inheritance. (fn. 14) From John it passed to his son, another John; (fn. 15) and to the latter's son Thomas, (fn. 16) against whom and his mother Juliana, William, Abbot of St. Wandrille, brought an action in 1330 claiming that as the estate had belonged to the abbey by virtue of the Prebend of Uphaven, in the diocese of Salisbury, and that as the consent of the dean and chapter had not been obtained, the alienation of the manor by William de Nutricilla was not valid. The abbot, however, failed to prosecute and judgement was given for Thomas, (fn. 17) who in the same year successfully claimed view of frankpledge in his manor of Boughton, on prescription; he was sheriff (fn. 18) for Northants. in 1331, 1334, and 1343. In 1337 the abbey of St. Wandrille was absolved by the Pope from the penalty it had incurred by selling the Boughton estate without licence from the bishop, and the tenure of the Boughton family was thus rendered more secure. (fn. 19) Three years afterwards, however, Sir Thomas de Boughton and Joan his wife sold the reversion of the manor to Henry Green of Isham, junior, (fn. 20) in whose family it remained for many years. (fn. 21) Henry Green was knighted in 1354 and in 1361 was appointed chief justice of the King's Bench, from which he was removed in 1365; (fn. 22) he died in 1369 and was succeeded in his Boughton estates by Thomas, his son by his first wife; Drayton, which he had acquired from Sir John Drayton, brother of his second wife Catherine, being settled on Henry his son by her. (fn. 23) Sir Thomas, who died in 1391, (fn. 24) was succeeded by his son another Sir Thomas, Sheriff of Northants. in 1417, in which year he died. (fn. 25) His widow Mary died in 1433, (fn. 26) when their son, another Sir Thomas, came into possession of the whole manor. (fn. 27) The manor passed from him to his son, grandson, and great-grandson, all of whom were called Thomas, (fn. 28) but the sixth and last Thomas died in 1506, without male heirs, when his property passed to his two daughters Anne and Maud. (fn. 29) During their minority the estate was claimed by the Bishop of Winchester and others, (fn. 30) but this was probably only a question of guardianship, as in 1512 a division of the property was made between Nicholas Vaux and Anne his wife and Thomas Parr and Maud his wife (fn. 31) by which Anne appears to have acquired Boughton Manor. She predeceased her husband, who died in 1523, (fn. 32) shortly after his elevation to the peerage as Lord Vaux of Harrowden, (fn. 33) when their son Thomas inherited the manor. (fn. 34) During his life it appears to have been leased out to Richard Humphrey, after whose death it was the cause of a dispute between his stepson Augustus Crispe and his nephew Thomas Stafford, (fn. 35) but the manor shortly returned to the Vaux family, passing to Thomas's son William, and to the latter's grandson Edward, (fn. 36) who married Elizabeth widow of William Knollys Earl of Banbury. (fn. 37) Edward Vaux died in 1661 without legitimate issue, having settled the manor on his stepson Nicholas Vaux or Knollys, sometimes called Earl of Banbury. (fn. 38) By his first wife, Isabel, Nicholas had one daughter Anne who married Sir John Briscoe and by his second wife, Anne, on whom he settled Boughton on his marriage with her in 1655, (fn. 39) a son Charles who succeeded his father in 1674. (fn. 40) Charles apparently sold Boughton to Sir John Briscoe, the husband of his half-sister Anne, who mortgaged it to Lord Ashburnham, and the latter in 1717 sold it with Pitsford to Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford. (fn. 41) Lord Strafford died in 1739 and his son William died without issue in 1791, when this property was inherited by his sisters and co-heirs or their descendants, Anne wife of the Right Honourable William Conolly, Lucy wife of Sir George Howard, and Henrietta wife of Henry Vernon, as tenants in common, (fn. 42) but as they were anxious to hold their shares in severalty they obtained an Act of Parliament in 1795 by which Boughton and Pitsford were assigned to Richard William Howard-Vyse, a minor, son of Major-General Howard-Vyse and Anne daughter and heir of Lucy Wentworth and Sir George Howard. (fn. 43) The manor has remained in the Howard-Vyse family, (fn. 44) the present owner being Major-Gen. Sir Richard Granville Howard-Vyse.
__________________
Last Modified 5 Mar 2013Created 25 May 2017 by Tim Powys-Lybbe